Saturday, February 20, 2016

What is Jane and Pearl


August, 2019




Hi there! I'm Emily, that's a super outdated photo, but I'll get a newer one soon. I'm married, living in Knoxville, Tennessee with my husband, twin 5-year-olds and 7 month old. I'm an enneagram 7 which is why I'm okay with an outdated photo. I've got a lot more up to date stuff on instagram


 Thanks for stopping by!! You can read the story of how Jane & Pearl was founded to help others below. If you're interested in shopping, just click the link below and it will send you to the Etsy shop. I can also be found on Facebook and Instagram. 

Shop Online
Jane & Pearl Products







February 20th, 2016


Jane and Pearl is watercolor stationery where 100% of the profits go to non-profit organizations that support oppressed women and children, fighting for their freedom and flourishing. 

After reading articles on the current refugee crisis and knowing friends on the front line in Iraq doing art therapy with Isis survivors, my heart was bursting with a way to respond to the tragedy coming out of the middle east.
"If you stand under an Iraqi sky at night and listen —

you can hear a thousand heartbeats, waiting… hoping." -Ann Voskamp
Raising twin toddlers and living only on my husband's hard-earned income doesn't allow me to give to those working in these oppressed worlds. So I thought, "what do I have?" A little bit of nap time, and a love to watercolor and create, however simple it is. What if all profits from a watercolor painting go to these women and children who've survived unimaginable suffering, whether it be fleeing a war, waiting for a heart surgery, or desperate to be rescued from slavery. The profits would go to our friends doing art therapy for women and children rescued from slavery in Iraq or from fleeing the war in Syria, Preemptive Love, and to organizations fighting against human trafficking across the globe. (I will always list where all profits will go.*)

I read "In Order to Live" by Yeonmi Park, and was so moved by her story. Growing up in North Korea, Yeonmi's greatest motivation in escaping to China was an entire bowl of warm rice. That was it. Tragically, after making it to China as a teenager she was trafficked, bought and sold, for less than a hundred dollars the first time. She now had rice, but again had no freedom, and it's all she wanted. Simply to be free. To not be someone else's property.


Several months ago when this burden to give started, I had a vivid dream. I dreamt that one of my daughters was taken. We quickly found the house that she was being kept at. We pleaded with the man that was also keeping others to give our daughter back. He said, "she is very valuable to me, she will cost a lot." And in my dream I yelled, "she is invaluable! she has immeasurable worth!!" This person was telling me that my DAUGHTER had a price tag. And in that moment, in my dream with devastation, I felt the weight of all the faceless, nameless, statistics of especially women and children being held in captivity. They are someone's daughter. I thought of their mothers, fathers, their sisters, and brothers who want to fight for their freedom but can not.




"All suffering, injustice, poverty, and death will be ended. To pray 'thy kingdom come' is to 'yearn for 

that future life' of justice and peace." -Tim Keller

That's my prayer with the resources I've been given, to invest them in bringing heaven to earth. 

Jane and Pearl. The middle names of my daughters and the motivation to remember the value and worth inherent in every single person among thousands of oppressed, enslaved, and abused women and children. Each one is someone's child. Each one has immeasurable worth.
"The absurdity of a mad world only changes when we stop being deaf to the other —and have the audacity to listen to each other’s hearts — and respond." -Ann Voskamp

(*I will always list organizations that benefit from the profits of Jane & Pearl on the blog, so you know exactly where your money is going. Feel free to contact me with any questions about these organizations or my mission!)

No comments:

Post a Comment